My lovely niece
visited us while she was following a strict diet of raw fruits and vegetables.
She astonished us when she ate an entire bunch of bananas for breakfast,
followed by a whole watermelon for lunch. We took her for a picnic at a local
winery and she brought an enormous papaya for herself. Admittedly, she looked
great. She had clear skin, her chronic headaches had disappeared and she was
slender. Maybe too slender since she had sharp points on her shoulders. By her
own admission, she refused to eat “anything that had a face or muscles, or
could grow up to have a face or muscles. Or anything that was taken away from
an animal and its baby was sad about it.” She said if we would all become
vegetarians we could feed the world because most farmland was growing grain to
feed the poor animals we were eating. I had heard of "grain fed beef"
which I assumed meant that was the animal's diet, so her claim seemed to make
sense.
Recently I came
across a booklet, published six years ago. It addressed misconceptions about
agriculture and one of them was why vegetarianism could not save the planet.
Evidently, this was not as new a concept as my niece seemed to be convinced it
was. I was intrigued. According to the publication, which was quoting World
Bank information, about 11% of the land
on our dear globe is farm-able. Eleven percent of the world is all we have to
grow all the grain, fruit and vegetables to be consumed every day by over 7.2
billion souls. Fortunately, for us who intend to continue to live here, animals
are able to graze another 38% and digest grasses and shrubs, turning them into
meat we can use for food. I suddenly realized the importance of those grazing
lands to human survival. Since I can't eat grass or most other plants on that range land, it's important for me to know I have a food source that can. Those
animals typically put on most of their weight nursing from their mothers who
are roaming around foraging. When they are weaned, many continue to graze the range
and pasture land that isn't fit for growing crops. Just before they are brought
to market, they are given grain and other vegetable matter grown on that
precious arable land. Contrary to what I thought grain fed beef was, they are not
fed corn their entire lives.
In addition, it becomes starkly apparent how crucial
it is to human life that the agricultural land that does exist for raising
crops be as productive as possible. We need to use all the knowledge we have to
maximize the food it produces while preserving its capacity to continue to feed
us indefinitely. It's a daunting task and we need to support the farmers and
scientists who are devoting their energies to feeding the world. Grazing is a
great way to turn wild forbs and grasses into food fit for people. And I DO
enjoy the end product on my barbecue!

No comments:
Post a Comment